A few important facts about castor canadensis (source beaversww.org):
- beavers maintain wetlands that act as the earth’s kidneys to purify water
- these wetlands support a biodiversity that rivals tropical rain forests
- almost half the endangered species in North America rely on wetlands to survive
- wildlife rehabilitators claim beavers to be gentle, reasoning beings who enjoy playing practical jokes
- beavers rarely overpopulate because they breed only once a year
- they mate for life during their third year. One to four kits are born in the spring and stay with the parents for two years. The yearlings become babysitters for the new litter.
- trapping is the most common source of mortality